- Plan and prepare.
- Service your bike before you go.
- Take a mobile phone.
- There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad equipment.
- Don't carry too much - in fact buy smaller panniers to restrict weight and volume.
- Plan a stop between 5 and 10 miles from your destination - there is nothing worse than arriving knackered and with low energy - it spoils the sense of achievement!
- Eat often during the day, but try not to always stop at cafes as it takes a lot of time and detracts from progress - then eat loads in the evening! :)
- If in a group stick together - achieving your aim as a group is very rewarding.
- for plotting cycle routes we use 'View Ranger'
- the Sustrans National Cycle Network offers a great resource for planning trips
- for capturing your ride use 'Strava' on your mobile phone